Jorge Barreto Xavier
Invited Assistant Professor at ISCTE – University Institute of Lisbon; Lecturer on Public policies on culture – Master in Cultural Management; Lecturer on Cultural and creative Industries’ management – Master of Communication, Culture and Information Technology; Lecturer of the Master in Programming and cultural management, Lusophone University; Member of the Council of the Department of Communication and Arts at Aveiro University.
Director-General of the Arts, Ministry of Culture, Portugal (2008/2010); Administrator of the Cultural Development Fund of the Ministry of Culture (2008/2010); President of the arts section of the National Council of Culture; Consultant of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation on Education (2006/2008); Deputy Mayor at the Municipality of Oeiras, in charge of Culture, Youth and Consumers Defense (2003/2005); Coordinator of the Inter-ministerial Commission on Education / Culture of the XV Constitutional Government (2004/2005); Advisor to the Minister of Culture of the XV Constitutional Government (2004/2005); Member of the Board of the Portuguese Youth Institute (2000/2004); Founder and Chairman of the Board of the Portuguese Club of Arts and Ideas (1986/2002), designing and coordinating, among others, an annual programme to promote young artists and the Paideia Program – art in schools; Founder, director and programmer of ” Common Place “- Experimentation Arts Centre (1998/2002); Member of the National Council of Education (1997/2001); Advisor of the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Discoveries Foundation/Centro Cultural de Belém (1996/2000); Advisor for Cultural Affairs of the Rector of the Lisbon University (1990/1994).
Member of several national and international networks in the area of culture and education, such as the International Federation of Arts Councils and Cultural Agencies, the European Forum for Arts and Heritage, the European League of Institutes of Arts, the Informal European Theatre Meeting, the Biennale Jeunes Créateurs de l’Europe et de la Méditerranée, the European Network of the Cultural and Artistic Centre for Children and Young People, the TransEuropeHalles, the Portuguese Cultural Centre Network and the Network of Portuguese programmers.
Graduated in Law by the Law Faculty of Lisbon University (area of political studies), completed the first postgraduate degree in Arts Administration in Portugal (1989), at the National Institute of Administration, with the guidance of Professor Joan Jeffry, Columbia University (New York), and completed the Diploma of Advanced Studies in Political Sciences, Universidade Nova de Lisboa. He is preparing his PhD in Public Policies at ISCTE – University Institute of Lisbon, with the co-supervision of Professor Catherine Moury (ISCTE) and Professor Lester Salamon (Johns Hopkins University) on ‘The impact of public funding in the nonprofit arts organizations’.
• ‘Art and Delinquency’ (coordinator), edition of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, 2011
• ‘Chart of Culture of Oeiras’ (coordinator), edition of the Municipality of Oeiras, 2007
• Report of the Inter-ministerial Commission on Education / Culture (coordinator), sites of the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Culture, 2004
• ‘Portuguese cultural centres’, in ‘The state of the arts and arts of the State’ edition of the Observatory of Cultural Activities, Ministry of Culture, 2002
• ‘Education and Associations – beyond the school’, edition of the National Council of Education, 2001
• ‘A consistent contemporary arts teaching’ in ‘School, Learning and Creativity’, Porto Editora, 2000
• ‘Arts Education, Aesthetic Education and the internalization of Knowledge’ (together with Emilia Nadal), edition of the National Council of Education, 1999